Hello everyone! Today I thought I would talk about the issue of mineral oil – the facts and my personal opinion. Mineral oil is a divisive issue in the beauty world. But what is it and why is it an issue?
1. Mineral oil is a by-product of petroleum.
2. It is used as a lubricant and moisturiser to treat dry, rough or itchy skin.
3. It is inexpensive i.e. dirt cheap.
4. It is an emollient, meaning it forms a layer on top of the skin to trap in moisture. Being an emollient it does not sink into the skin so in practice it shouldn’t clog pores (however some claim it does).
5. As with all products put on the skin, on some people it can cause redness, irritation or burning.
6. There are different grades of mineral oil depending on what it is being used for. The grade of mineral oil used in cosmetics is the highest grade. There have been concerns about lower level grade mineral oil being toxic.
(Facts either common sense or taken from http://www.webmd.com and http://www.drfranklipman.com)
There are two main reasons mineral oil is such a divisive issue in the beauty world. Firstly, it is a cheap ingredient used to bulk up products. It doesn’t have great beneficial claims for the skin. Its value lies in its affordability. So buying a $50 moisturiser only to look at the ingredients and find mineral oil as one of the first ingredients listed is disappointing and to be honest, I would feel like I got ripped off. Secondly, there are continuing arguments about whether mineral oil clogs the skin or not. The experts are undecided with claims on either side of the argument. So unfortunately, I cannot give you the answer to that issue.
So having laid out the facts, what do you think? Comment down below with your thoughts on this issue.
I personally don’t mind mineral oil in inexpensive cosmetic products. However, if I am paying more I want better ingredients in the product – I want ingredients that are doing something for my skin not just sitting on top of my skin.
Thanks for reading, Christina xo